Search

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

So Close

Home is calling me. Friday is only three days away. The only thing that stands in the way of me and a warm fire, my family, a humble Christmas tree, and a glass of nog is one last stinking final. Chemistry - bring. it on.

I don't want to sound sorry for myself but I feel like I have totally missed out on Christmas this year. Yes, I know it hasn't actually happened yet but half of Christmas is the preparation for the day of. Fortunately this weekend will be pleasantly filled with Christmas movies, comfy clothes, seeing the Nutcracker, seeing my dad is his red onesie that he only wears this time of year (the best), dinner at the oh so elegant WaterBoy restaurant, European sipping cocoa at Ginger Elizabeth, present wrapping, and just feeling the glow of Christmas. 

But until then, Friday at around 1:30 (I am guessing) I will make do with what I've got here in my dorm. Christmas lights. Check. Mini tree. Check. Wreath. Check. Holiday apron. Check. Cambridge Choir Holiday Pandora station. Check. 

With the semester wrapping up, I have been plenty busy - but not too busy to forget how to nourish my appetite and body! Lately I have been roasting everything I can coat with olive oil. I ate an entire roasted red onion the other night, and I have no shame in admitting it. Also nutritional yeast and polenta have been forever married in my mind. 

Consumed lately:







Last week I went to my local natural foods store and was basically given (okay they were a buck fifty but marked down from six) a box of fancy gourmet mushrooms. It literally made my week. That store and I have also been forever married in my mind. 



So with this glorious bounty of mycological goodness, I opted to vere away from roasting and reintroduce myself to the pan. Having no idea how these guys would taste like, I figured I could not go wrong with olive oil, garlic, and thyme. I then added a few other goods and it resulted in something I deemed to be blog worthy. I give to you...


Wild Mushroom and Farro Salad with Roasted Brussels Spouts

Serves 2
  • 1/2 cup farro
  • 1 box of Gourmet Mushrooms (3 cups of chopped shitakes would be a good substitute)
  • 1/2 - 3/4 lb brussels sprouts halved or quartered 
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • thyme
  • 1/4 cup pepitas, toasted
  • balsamic vinegar
  • olive oil
  • salt, pepper
  • parmesan cheese (optional)
Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Bring 1 cup of water, farro, and a pinch of salt to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, until al dente. Add more water during cooking if need be.
2.  Toss the Brussels Sprouts with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Spread them onto a foil-lined baking pan and place in the oven. Roast for 20 minutes, shuffling the sprouts once or twice during that time.
3. Just before the faro and sprouts are done, heat some olive oil in a pan. Add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt; cook over medium high heat until tender. Just before they are done add the garlic and the thyme and cook for another two minutes.
4. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Divide into two bowls and garnish with parmesan cheese. 

No comments:

Post a Comment