Search

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Tomato and Zucchini Tart with Garlic and Basil

Tarts have got to be one of the most elegant foods. I mean when have you seen an ugly looking tart? Can't think of a time? Yeah neither can I.

Seriously, if you want to make a visual masterpiece, make a tart. Line it with asparagus, nectarines, or anchovies, and I bet you it will still look damn good. Try it - prove me wrong - I dare you.

This summer I have been blessed with an abundance of squash from the backyard garden. Are you imagining baskets full of rich, green zucchini? So am I. Sadly that is not the case.


No, the squash proliferating from the garden is crookneck. And I loath it. And I've broiled, sautéed, simmered, and baked the stuff. Heck I've even made pasta from it. And now, I feel, is an appropriate time to confess that I am sick of it.

Berkley Tie-Die tomatoes fresh from the garden! 
So what does one do with tons of crookneck squash? What any one in need of breath of fresh squash would do - buy zucchini of course! Come at me garden gods - just know I've got a heap of lemon cucumbers to chuck in your direction.

Early last week I thought I was craving some quiche. But when I actually began to analyze what I wanted - I discovered I needed the crust. The soft submissive almostbetterthanbread crust that nuzzles whatever goodness it encompasses. Quiche was, somewhat sadly, eliminated from the agenda as I didn't have the right pie pan. Fortunately it was was quickly replaced by this recipe from The Flour Sack. This quick change of plans worked out for the best because this crust hit the flippin' spot. 


I only altered the recipe by using one tomato and drizzling basil olive oil (which I can't get enough of these days) for garnish. So nothing exciting there. The recipe is solid and the crust is wonderful - I'm thinking of using it in a pizza tart next perhaps!?


On a different note, I wanted to share with you the amazing sourdough bread I ate in the back seat of a car last weekend. 

Yes, it is from Raley's - not some fancy bakery - but seriously with the sourdough-y-ness of this bread combined with the soft, still-warm, chewy interior the stuff could be from Mars and I would still devour it. I shared with my fellow passengers, becuase really who wants to 'mmm' and 'ohmygawd this is so good' all by themselves? Food is defiantly about sharing such exclamations in good company!

Now hurry along and make that tart! 







No comments:

Post a Comment