Search

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Coconut Quinoa Breakfast Porridge

My alarm is set for 7am today, but I've been tossing and turning since 3 - the birds have been chirping, I kid you not, since that ungodly hour. Gotta love nature. And although I am wide awake, the idea of sleep sounds so inviting. Yet no matter how many times I tried to roll over this morning, sleep decided it was just no longer on the agenda. 

Fortunately - as I was sprawled and awake, listening to the repetitive sounds of the city garbage truck and bird songs - I remembered I had a post to write, a recipe to share, a blog to tend to! 

So here I am, still in bed, belly growling, laptop on lap, sharing with you yesterdays breakfast. 

*Coconut Quinoa Breakfast Porridge*

Quinoa is no where near my favorite grain. Despite knowing that it is a nutritional powerhouse with its 6g of protein per serving, that it is quick and simple to cook, and that it is amazingly cheap, I just can't bring myself to really enjoy it. I'm guessing it's a texture thing, though I still have not come to settle on a definite explanation. This porridge is the exception for me when it comes to liking quinoa. The texture is almost like scottish oats but not as thick and heavy. Flavor wise,  how can you go wrong with coconut and mango right? It's alike hawaii in a bowl! 


1/2 cup rinsed, drained (preferably soaked for 24 hours) quinoa
1 cup lite coconut milk
Pinch of sea salt
1 mango, peeled
Various toppings: chopped pecans, fresh or dried fruit, nut butter could (always) work, coconut flakes, cocoa bliss...

Add quinoa, coconut milk, and salt into a pot and bring to a boil stirring constantly. Reduce to a simmer and cover, stirring occasionally for 10 to 15 minutes - until the coconut milk is absorbed and the grain is cooked. Remember to stir occasionally to prevent sticking or burning... or an overflowing pot (I admit that happened to me). 

Meanwhile puree the mango and set aside. Get your toppings all out and ready as well, that way your not rushing when the quinoa is served - I for one can't stand cold porridge. 

When the quinoa is done, remove it from the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes. Fluff it with a fork, divide it into two serving bowls; then pour in the remaining coconut milk. Drizzle the mango puree on top, sprinkle your choice of toppings, and enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment